Diocese of Fall River
Formation for the Permanent Diaconate is guided by the National Directory for the Formation, Ministry and Life of Permanent Deacons in the United States. To that end, the Sacred Order of Deacons is to be "a driving force for the Church's service or diakonia toward the local Christian communities, and as a sign or sacrament of the Lord Christ himself, who came not to be served but to serve." The Deacon's ministry of service is linked with the missionary dimension of the church. The missionary efforts of the Deacon will embrace the ministry of the word, the liturgy and works of charity which, in their turn, are carried into daily life.
9th Class continues journey to Ordination
The 9th Diaconate class has been admitted to Candidacy on June 8, 2016 by Bishop Edgar de Cunha [ More ]
Meet the 9th Diaconate class by clicking here. (Password protected area)
Four Deacons of the Fall RIver Diocese participated in the Deacon Jubilee in Rome
Deacon John Foley, Deacon Eduardo Borges, Deacon Gary John and Deacon Frank Lucca, along with 45 pilgrams from the Diocese of Fall RIver participated in the Deacon Jubilee in Rome last month
Ongoing opportunities for continuing formation being offered in our diocese.
- Attleboro/Taunton Deanery Gathering - 7pm 24 Spetember 2016 at Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus Parish, S. Attleboro.
- Candidate Formation Classes (open to all deacons and their wives) [ Details ]
- Old Testament Course (Fall 2016 Semester)
- Sacramental Theology Course (Fall 2016 Semester)
- Old Testament Course (Spring 2017 Semester)
- Moral Theology (Spring 2017 Semester)
- Deacon Retreat
- October 14-16, 2016 - LaSalette Retreat Center [ Details ]
- Deacon Advent Day of Recollection
- December 3, 2016 - St Mary’s New Bedford [ Details ]
'I have decided to announce an Extraordinary Jubilee which has at its center the mercy of God. It will be a Holy Year of Mercy. We want to live in the light of the word of the Lord: “Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful” (cf. Lk 6:36).
This Holy Year will commence on the next Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception and will conclude on Sunday, 20 November 2016, the Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe and living face of the Father's mercy.’ - Pope Francis [ Details ]